Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bad Boys Do


Bad Boys Do is the 2nd book in The Donovan Brothers Brewery series by Victoria Dahl. From the author’s website.~

Olivia Bishop is no fun. That’s what her ex-husband said. That’s what her smart bob and glasses imply. And with her trademark determination, Olivia sets out to remake her life. She’s going to spend time with her girlfriends and not throw it all away for some man. But when an outing with her book club leads her to a brewery taproom, the dark-haired beauty realizes that trouble – in the form of sexy Jamie Donovan – may be too tempting to avoid.

 Jamie Donovan doesn’t mean to be bad. Sure, the wild streak in his wicked green eyes has lured the ladies before. But it’s time to grow up. He’s even ready for a serious romance. But how can that be when Olivia, the only right woman he has ever met, already has him pegged as wrong.

I requested Bad Boys Do from NetGalley and was so excited when I received notification I was approved for an ARC. We first met Jamie and the rest of the Donovan clan in Good Girls Don’t. Jamie intrigued me from the first, but couldn’t really say why until I read his story.

I loved Olivia from the first minute we met her. I could so totally relate to her as I admit I’m a total geek and saw a little of myself in her. I’ve never been really comfortable around guys, especially guys as sexy as Jamie. I loved that Olivia was ready to do pretty much anything and everything to turn her life from safe to fun. Which of course is where Jamie comes in to the picture. Jamie is all about the fun. In fact, his own family still treats him like he is still an irresponsible kid for the most part. I hate to use the phrase they completed each other, but they really did. Jamie brought out the fun in Olivia and that helped her to be more confident in herself. Olivia helped Jamie with getting organized in business which allowed him to finally stand up for himself with his family. Olivia and Jamie are attracted to one another from their first meeting. They were so hot together and I was cheering them on from the first.

I also really loved the friendship between Olivia and Gwen. It was nice to see women who work together become friends, even when the women are so different from one another. Loved that Olivia and Gwen talked about men just like my friends and I talk about men.

Now, I’ve never been a fan of how Eric treats Jamie. I don’t care if you are the oldest sibling, you eventually have to see your younger sibs as adults. Jamie isn’t without fault in this situation. He has allowed Eric to continue to treat him as the kid brother. Jamie is the middle child in the family, and the second son. As the middle child, I understand being in the shadow of an older sibling. However, at some point you have to let the birth order thing go and move on. In fact, once Jamie finally stands up for himself, I think his family, especially Eric, finally saw him for who he really is.

I’m a big fan of Victoria Dahl and really enjoyed Bad Boys Do. I’ll buy my keeper shelf copy on the release date, which is 9/29/11.


No comments: