Sunday, October 23, 2011

On the Steamy Side


On the Steamy Side is the 2nd book in Louisa Edwards’ Recipe for Love series. From the back cover.~

She’s never met a man so mouth-watering

When Lilah Jane Tunkle fled her dull life in Virginia for the bright lights of New York City, she didn’t expect to wind up a nanny to a gorgeous celebrity chef’s ten-year-old son. Working for the delectable Devon Sparks is a sure-fire recipe for disaster, especially after Lilah gets a tantalizing taste of his perfectly seasoned kisses…

And he can’t resist her down-home spice

Devon’s not sure he can handle one more surprise ingredient in his life-he left his popular TV show, his culinary reputation is on the line, and now the son he barely knows is back for seconds. Lilah’s Southern sass is supposed to keep the boy in line, but soon enough she’s teaching Devon a thing or two about homespun food…and turning up the heat.

I tend to buy books as soon as they come out, but don’t always get to read them right away. I like to joke that I’m afraid they will stop printing books one day. I’m a big fan of Louisa Edwards and I really enjoyed On the Steamy Side a great deal.

In the beginning, Devon is exactly how I would picture a big-time TV chef. He is rude to others in the restaurant, thinks he is always right, and pretty much can get any woman he wants by smiling at them. In fact, the first night Devon and Lilah meet, they hook up. As he spends more and more time with Lilah, I think we get to see the real Devon Sparks. Lilah is like no one Devon has ever met. She says what’s on her mind and doesn’t really care if he likes it or not. She even steps up the help Devon with Tucker, the son he barely knows. Devon is at a career crossroads when we first meet him. He has been doing a cooking TV show for so long; he thinks it is affecting his skills in the kitchen.

Lilah was an interesting character for me. I loved how her Southern roots came out as she passed on the down-home wisdom her aunt taught her. She has feeling for Devon very early on and those feelings only grow stronger the more time she spends with him. She sees a side of Devon he doesn’t usually share with anyone. I found it a little hard to believe how well they got along at first, since they truly are polar opposites. However, the more I read, the more I liked them as a couple.

I really like the voice Louisa Edwards gives to her characters and am happy to say I have both Just One Taste and Too Hot To Touch in my monster TBR pile. 

No comments: