Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Serpent's Kiss


Serpent’s Kiss is the 3rd book in The Elder Races series by Thea Harrison. From the back cover.~

In the latest novel of the Elder Races a Queen on the brink of sanity has on one to rely on except the Wyr warrior whose conviction is every bit as strong as his passion…

In order to save his friend’s life, Wyr sentinel Rune Ainissesthai made a bargain with Vampyer Queen Carling-without knowing what she would ask from him in return. But when Rune attempts to make good on his debt, he finds a woman on the edge.

Recently Carling’s Power has become erratic, forcing her followers to flee in fear. Despite the danger, Rune is drawn to the ailing Queen, and decides to help her find a cure for the Serpent’s Kiss-the Vampyric disease that’s killing her.

With their desire for each other escalating just as quickly as Carling’s instability spirals out of control, the sentinel and the Queen will have to rely on each other if they have any hope of surviving the serpent’s kiss…

I was lucky enough to borrow an ARC from a friend and read Serpent’s Kiss before the release date. However, I had lots going on around the release and didn’t get my post up as soon as I wanted to. I’ve said repeatedly that Dragon Bound, the first book from this series, is my favorite book I’ve read this year. That being said, I’d have to say I loved Serpent’s Kiss almost as much.

I liked Rune from the first time we met him. He has proven he is both a good warrior and friend. The fact that he would make a bargain with Vampyer Queen Carling without knowing what would be asked of him fit right in with  his character for me. We met Carling in Storm’s Heart, and I really thought she was a bit of a cold-hearted bitch. However, I found myself really liking Carling as I read Serpent’s Kiss.

Carling is suffering from a disease that seems to only effect older vampires. As she and Rune spend more time together, they start to see she is changing with each episode she suffers. Carling’s original name was Khepri, which is changed to Carling when Rune saves her life and the endearment darling is misunderstood. Of course, each time she has an episode, Rune is there and helps Carling change something from her past, that ends up changing things in the future as well.

With each change, Carling is becoming more stable, which makes some in the present not very happy. As Rune helps Carling through each episode, they become more and more attracted to one another. They are one of my favorite couples from this series. They have great passion and respect for one another, yet can still fight and play. Both will do anything and everything in their powers to protect the other.

While Dragon Bound is still my favorite book in this series, I truly loved Serpent’s Kiss as well. Carling is an unlikely heroine, yet her differences from the standard heroine are the reason I love her so much as the story progressed. Rune has always been a favorite of mine, but watching him protect Carling from everyone proved to me he was a true hero.

I have to thank all my friends on twitter for tweeting so much about this series. Without them, I would have missed out on an amazing group of books. There is a bit of a wait for the next full-length book in this series, but there will be a novella released in December 2011.




No comments: