Friday, February 08, 2013

Author Interview: Heather Lire


I’m happy to welcome debut author Heather Lire to my blog. Her debut novel is Second Chance at Forever (Holiday, Vermont Book 1) which was released on February 1, 2013. I love Heather's debut novel and am so excited she visited my blog today.


BBL: I know you are a huge reader since you help me find so many books. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer?

HL: I have a feeling I'm going to be getting this question a lot J No I didn't know. I've always told stories and shared them with a very few select people, ok I've shared them with one person my sister. I never had any intention of publishing them.

The whole being a published author, and not through academia isn't anything I ever aspired to. I was very content to be a Foreign Languages and Literature teacher.

BBL: As a working mom and wife, how do you fit in time to write?

HL: LOL. My laptop goes with me EVERYWHERE. My kids play sports so I take my laptop with me and when they aren't on the field I'm writing. I'm in education so when I have a break I'm writing. Then I usually write from about 8 till 11 at night on the weekends. My family has already learned when mom is on deadline to not ask her anything.

BBL: Are you a plotter or a pantster?

HL: I'm a bit of both. I have to have a general idea of the plot of the story, but other than that I simply tell the story, as it comes to me.

BBL: If money wasn’t an issue, where would you go on your dream vacation?

HL: If money wasn't an issue we would pack up the house and get the dog vaccinated and head off to see the world. We would hit as many countries as we could in a two year time period.

BBL: What is your favorite genre of romances to read (assuming your read multiple genres)?

HL: You seriously want me to pick a genre? I can honestly say I don't have a favorite.

BBL: Who are your favorite 5 authors?

HL: DANG IT…you're really making me work for today aren't you. Ok here goes…Nalini Singh, Stephanie Laurens, Lauren Dane, Carly Phillips, Nora Roberts and…oh wait you said 5 authors. Can I amend that to top 10? Because there a couple more authors who are my favorite.

BBL: If you could have a meal with anyone living or dead, who would you pick?

HL: I had to think about this for a while and then I decided I knew exactly who I would pick. It's two people actually. My little brother Daniel who passed away several years ago, and my grandpa who passed away a couple of years ago.

BBL: I love romances set in a small town. Is the town Holiday from your series based on a real small town?

HL: It is actually. It's very loosely based on the small town I grew up in. It was a small college town where everyone knew everybody. It's no longer that way, but I loved growing up there and so I wanted to set my story in a town similar.

BBL: Did you know when you started writing Second Chance at Forever that Morgan, Brynn & Case were triplets and Ryan and Ethan were twins?

HL: I knew that Morgan was a triplet right away, however I had no idea Ryan had a twin brother. In fact when I first wrote the story I got stalled out because I didn't know how to get past a certain scene. It wasn't until I was driving home for work one day when I swear Ryan appeared in my car and asked if I was done trying to make his woman fall in love with his brother. It was then I knew Ryan was a twin.

BBL: I loved Morgan and Ryan’s siblings every bit as much as them. Will each of their siblings get their own stories?

HL: Yes they will. Brynn's story will be out in August and her hero is one of Ryan's best friends and fellow officer Colin. Her book is Second Chance at Happiness. Ethan will be next and his book is Second at Passion and will be out Feb of 2014, with Case being the last one in series and his book is Second Chance Hearts. Second Chance Hearts will be out Aug 2014.

BBL: I loved Ryan’s and Morgan’s parents and the rest of their families. Did you know how involved their family members would be in their story when you started writing it?

 HL: At first no I didn't, but as I was writing it became very evident to me that there was outside forces working to get them together.

BBL: Do you feel like each of your books in the Holiday series can be read as a stand-alone read?

HL: I guess you could read books 1 and 2 as a stand alone, however I set Ethan's story up in book 2, and Case's story really starts in Ethan's book, as Ethan and his heroine come together to help Case.

BBL: Could you pick just one of your characters as your favorite?

HL: If I had to choose it would probably be Ryan and Ethan. Especially as I'm a mom of twins.

BBL: What is up next for you with your writing career?

HL: I'm currently working on a pnr that I'm super excited about. I also have a couple other series I'm thinking about and letting percolate in my mind and One Note file.

You can find Heather around the web at these locations:

Bio: Heather Lire has been telling stories for as long as she has been talking, at least according to her mother. After years spent in academia Heather was encouraged to share the stories she was writing and sending to her sister with the rest of the world.
When she isn't writing - which is never - she can be found attending whatever sport her sons are playing at that time, accompanying her husband on his photo shoots and playing online.
For more information on Heather and what she's currently working on please visit her website www.heatherlire.com




No comments: