Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Don't Look Away


Don’t Look Away is the 1st book in the Veronica Sloan series from author Leslie A. Smith. From the back cover.~

CAN A MURDER VICTIM'S OWN MEMORIES BE USED TO SOLVE A CRIME?

Detective Veronica Sloan isn’t shocked by much. Having lived through the worst terrorist attacks in history—which destroyed much of Washington, D.C.—she’s immune to even the most vicious brutality. But even she is stunned by the discovery of a murder in the basement of the under-reconstruction White House.

Sloan and FBI Agent Jeremy Sykes have been assigned to investigate the homicide because the victim was a participant in a top-secret experiment. Veronica has been training for just this kind of case, waiting to use her special skills, anxious to learn if a recording device implanted in a victim’s head can help solve their murder….before the killer strikes again.

I love a really good mystery or thriller. I was lucky enough to get a review copy from the author through NetGalley. I actually purchased my print copy even before I finished reading my digital copy.

I absolutely loved Don’t Look Away! It is set in the future just enough years for all the technology to be believable without being too out there. I also love books set in the future, and this one was very well done.

Veronica Sloan is a totally kick-ass character and I loved her from the very beginning. She and her partner Mark Daniels have worked well together for years and are pulling into what appears to be a typical murder except the victim was a participant in a top-secret experiment. Once Ronnie is attacked by the killer, FBI Agent Jeremy Sykes is called in to assist in the investigation. Jeremy and Ronnie trained together and have clashed from day one. They have amazing chemistry and I couldn’t wait for them to finally get together.

I have to say I guessed the wrong killer in the beginning. I love when that happens with a thriller. I did figure it out right before the killer was revealed, but not the reason why. Leslie Smith totally kept me on the edge of my seat reading this book. I can’t wait to see where she takes this series in the future. Don’t Ever Stop, book 2 in the series is currently set to release on July 15, 2013. 

No comments: