Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Book Drive




Today I welcome  Heather Lire here and ask anyone who can help with the book drive to do so. I plan on sending an Amazon Gift Card to Heather on Friday to help her out with buying books for the Colorado Children's Hospital. I know if I was going to spend an extended period of time in the hospital, I would need something to help me escape from reality for a bit. Thanks for allowing me to post about this book drive, Heather!


I'm an author, a book reviewer and a literature teacher. Reading has always been close to my heart. It's an activity I can do through good times and bad. When I'm happy I can celebrate with a good book, when I'm sad, lonely, depressed or stressed a good book will help me escape.  

Recently while at the Colorado Children's Hospital with my youngest son, I ran out of things to read. Upon seeing they had a family lending library I went looking. To my dismay I discovered most of the books were medical in nature or for small children. There was very little for a mom, dad, a teen or even a middle-grade patient to read. There were less than twenty books. I was bereft. Not only for me, but for all the other family members who had to spend hours in this empty waiting room with nothing to read.

After talking to the volunteers at the hospital about the lack of books the idea of a book drive began to take root. I saw a need that those in the book community could help fill.

Please help support this cause. We need new or gently used books. If you don't have books to donate you can give a monetary donation that will be used to purchase books.
The following kinds of novels are needed:
Middle-Grade Chapter books                                                                       
Young Adult (YA) books for girls or boys
Comics and magna
New Adult books
Adult General Fiction (mystery, drama, literature, romance, adventure, science fiction, fantasy, historical, paranormal)
Due to facility restrictions no erotica is allowed.

We will be collecting books all throughout September.

We ask that monetary donation are made in the form of an Amazon or Barnes & Noble Gift Cards.

A tax identification letter can be provided upon request.

If you are interested in participating in this drive please contact Heather Lire at heatherlire@live.com with Book Drive in the subject line.

Thank you,

Heather Lire
Contemporary Romance Author
The Book Reading Gals


No comments: