Sunday, September 15, 2013

Seeing Red


Seeing Red is the 3rd book in Firefighters series book from Jill Shalvis. The publisher re-released this book with a new cover on August 6, 2013. From the back cover.~

Summer Abrams left everything behind-the warehouse fire that took her father's life, the town where her world fell apart, and her best friend in the world, Joe Walker. All she carried with her was guilt. Now, twelve years later, another fire has devastated the same warehouse, and Summer returns to Ocean Beach to search for answers. But what she finds first is an old flame that never went out . . .

Joe Walker has become the town fire marshal-sexy, strong, and an expert at keeping people at bay. The only person he ever let into his heart broke it and left town without a word. Now that she's back, Joe swears he won't fall for Summer again . . . but the heat between them is irresistible. As he tries to help her heal the past, can he take a risk on building a future with Summer?

I actually own this book in the original print edition and was excited to get an opportunity to re-read it for the re-release of the book. I was approved for a review copy thanks to the publisher from NetGalley.

I loved both Summer and Joe from the very beginning. They were best friends as kids but lost touch after Summer left town following the fire that killed him. After twelve years, Joe and Summer are pretty different people, but I could feel their connection to one another all those years later. They have really great chemistry and are both pretty protective of one another.

I understood Summer's need to leave town following her dad's death. I've lived through a house fire and to this day I will drive out of my way not to see our old house. When Summer returns to help her mom deal with another fire in the same warehouse, and then gets caught in another fire at her mom's shop, Joe knows he must work overtime to figure out who is starting these fires. All while trying to stay away from Summer...which thankfully doesn't last love. I loved them so much as a couple.

Since this was a re-read for me, I quickly remembered who was behind the fires and why. It complete worked for me and I was just as angry at this person on this reading as I was the first time I read this story. While Seeing Red is book 3 in the Firefighters series, I think it reads well as a stand-alone. This series is a must read series for all Jill Shalvis fans. 

Amazon buy link.

No comments: