Sunday, March 22, 2015

Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega)

For once, mated werewolves Charles and Anna are not traveling because of Charles’s role as his father’s enforcer. This time, their trip to Arizona is purely personal, as Charles plans to buy Anna a horse for her birthday. Or at least it starts out that way...

Charles and Anna soon discover that a dangerous Fae being is on the loose, replacing human children with simulacrums. The Fae’s cold war with humanity is about to heat up—and Charles and Anna are in the cross fire. 

Alpha & Omega #4
Penguin Group Ace
March 3, 2015

I'm a huge fan of the Alpha & Omega series from Patricia Briggs. I was super excited to get a review copy of Dead Heat from the publisher through NetGalley. While I really love the Mercy Thompson series, I connected with Charles and Anna from their very first story and love their series best.

I really enjoyed Dead Heat a great deal. I loved that Charles and Anna were actually on a trip that was purely personal and for once weren't sent out on a mission from Bran. I loved getting to see Charles and Anna just be Charles and Anna. I also loved that we got to see Charles with friends from his past, as it gave me more insight into how he became the person he is now. I also felt like it helped Anna understand Charles more as well.

Not that their vacation could truly stay just a vacation. Not with the Fae being around and not totally under control. I have to say the attacks from the Fae bothered me a great deal as they were going after children. It was tough to read about the attacks, but I loved how Briggs handled it. Charles and Anna, with the help of Special Agent Fisher were able to not only stop the attacks, but help find one of the lost children.

We did get to see Anna and Charles deal with a family matter I didn't expect to come up yet. Anna wants children with Charles and he isn't ready yet. I thought this could overshadow the main story, but honestly felt like Anna and Charles were more open to discuss their options for having a family because of their experience in Arizona.

Dead Heat was another winner in the Alpha & Omega series from Patricia Briggs. The Alpha & Omega series remains one of my favorite urban fantasy series I've read.



No comments: