Tuesday, May 26, 2015

BACK TO YOU (HURLEY BROTHERS)

Former model Kelly Hurley has finally put the ashes of the past behind her. After a passionate but turbulent marriage to rock star Vaughan Hurley that ended in heartbreak and divorce, Kelly rebuilt her life in Portland, where she settled so their two young daughters could be close to their father. Just not so close Kelly couldn’t truly make her own way without interference from the man who shattered her heart. Now Kelly’s finally ready to move on, and she’s planning to marry another man.

But not if Vaughan has anything to say about it.

Vaughan knows he was a fool all those years ago. A young, selfish—and prideful—fool. Even as he buried himself in the fast, decadent rock star lifestyle, he could never drown out the memory of Kelly’s beauty and love. Or the sweet, searing heat whenever they touched. For years, he’s had to deal with the pain of seeing her only because of their daughters, but it was never enough. Now Vaughan must prove that he’s the only man Kelly needs, before he loses her for good. And there’s only one way to do it….

Back to You
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Hurley Boys #3
Harlequin HQN

Today I welcome Nikki Snider to my review team. I swear we were somehow separated at birth… We connected with one another from the moment we met. Nikki loves reading every bit as much as me and I’m so happy she will be sharing her love of books here.

Nikki’s Review:

Let me start by saying that I went into this book with equal parts of weariness and salivating because I finally had my greedy little mitts on Vaughan Hurley's book! From the first book in the Hurley brothers series, we get wee glimpses of Vaughan and Kelly's relationship, past and present. You know he messed up big time. But you can still feel the palpable chemistry simmering between them. Each time they would show up on the pages of past books, I desperately wanted more. But I knew that Vaughan had done something to destroy their marriage. I wasn't sure I wanted to know what. I wasn't sure if it was redeemable. And I adored him too much to not like him anymore. I never should have doubted Lauren Dane's incredible ability to make the all wrongs, absolutely right again.

Kelly has pined away for 8 years for her first and only love. He has his head so far in the sand that it's incredible he can breathe. It's only when Vaughan is confronted with the possibility that another man is going to have Kelly's sweet heart, and unwavering loyalty that he gets his butt in gear to win her back. I wasn't a fan that it took the old " hey that's my favorite toy, you can't have it even though I haven't cared about it in years " to make him see clearly. To make him see what has been staring him in the face for so long. Kelly of course, is reluctant to let him in again, and rightfully so. I thought this part could have been handled a bit better. Dragged out more perhaps. I felt like Kelly rolled over way too quickly to "see where things go". It deserved a bit more consideration than a few minute conversation.

Vaughan works so hard to prove his love for her. He struggles to find the words to properly say sorry. He struggles with facing all he has done to break Kelly's heart. The Hurley family have a whole lot of grovelling to do when it comes to Vaughan's ex-wife. Years of untold truths and unfair assumptions have made Kelly feel like an outsider and unloved by a family that is built on compassion and caring for one another. Vaughan has some serious wrongs to make right with more than just his ex. I liked his journey of finding himself and his self-discovery of what it means to do the right thing. I got a lump in my throat each time he realized what it is to really be a dad. To know that what you are and what you do, makes up so much of these tiny humans.

Of course the über hot rock star is able to make his lady love melt! The sexy times are smokin' and left me wanting a rock star of my very own! Vaughan can not only play instruments, he can uh, well you know, play a girls lady bits like magic too!


I was so happy to see that the journey to their HEA wasn't all kittens and rainbows. It was full of the real stuff. Yelling, crying, regret, and most of all redemption. I think I'm still mourning the end of this book. It's the end of one of my very favorite series. I had to say goodbye to the Hurley family. I have adored them all from the start. Lauren Dane gave Vaughan and Kelly the story they needed. The path they needed to walk to find each other again. If you haven't read this series, and I recommend starting from book 1, do it now! You need these books in your life!

No comments: