Sunday, June 21, 2015

CUPCAKES AND CRUSHES

Sometimes there is enough sweet to make up for the bitter.

Years ago, a broken heart sent Annie Cookie running from home, and she’s never looked back—until now. Her grandpa’s broken wrist means the family bakery is at risk of losing two big orders.

Reluctantly, Annie returns to Turtle Pine to help out, only to discover it’s not just seven hundred cupcakes she has to bake, but also a wedding cake for the half-sister who stole her high-school sweetheart. Annie left town to get away from her sister. No way is she getting mixed up with her again. Once the cupcakes are done, she’s outta there.

Back in high school, Cade Revlin hid his crush on his brother’s girl, but when his brother dumped Annie for another Cookie sister, Annie slipped through his fingers and out of town. Now that she’s back, he’s determined to give her a reason to stay.

He’s got one week to change her mind. Or she’ll be gone in a cloud of powdered sugar.

Warning: Contains small-town meddling, family drama and all the necessary ingredients for a second chance at love—if they have the guts to turn up the heat.

Release Date: April 14, 2015
Samhain Publishing
Turtle Pine #1
Purchased by reader

Liza's Review:

I'm a big fan of Keri Ford and was excited to read the first book in her new Turtle Pine series. I grew up in a small town in Tennessee, and have to say she totally nailed the small-town feel with Turtle Pine.

Cupcakes and Crushes was such a fun story to read. Annie Cookie became an instant favorite character of mine from the moment she appeared on the page. Annie is such a strong character and I loved how focused she became while in high school to move from home. I also loved that her love for her grandparents brought her back to help out the family business. I loved the relationship between Annie and her grandparents. Really made me think about how close I was to both of my grandparents and cracked me up how she interacted so differently with them.

I loved Cade Revlin just as much as Annie. He had a crush on Annie in high school and still has feelings for her to this day. I loved that I felt the attraction between them from the moment they saw each other again when Cade picked Annie up from the airport. The fact that Cade is the younger brother to her ex-boyfriend only made the story more fun for me. Add in the fact that her half-sister Tina, who has always been horrible to her likes Cade, and you have an even funnier story. I was cheering for Cade and Annie to stay together from the very beginning. I loved they both were so comfortable and happy when they were around one another and the chemistry between them was amazing.

I really understood all the reasons Annie had for not wanting to stay in Turtle Pine based upon her history with her half-sisters. In fact after seeing how crazy Tina acted, I'm pretty sure I would probably never come near her again. I wasn't really sure what to think about Jane. Based upon the history as Annie knew it, I didn't want Annie to do anything to help Jane out. However, I got Annie being the bigger person once she learned more from Jane. I still was angry that Jane would allow Tina to sway her and her treatment of Annie, but could also see a possible relationship between Annie and Jane in the future. Still not sure I'm a Jane fan yet, but will at least keep an open mind about her now.

Cupcakes and Crushes was an awesome start to a new series from Keri Ford. I found it to be a fun small-town story and I can't wait to read more in this series. 



No comments: