Monday, March 21, 2016

DANGEROUS TO KNOW (UNBROKEN HEROES #1)

In this red-hot romance-the first in a Special Ops series-Dawn Ryder takes readers into a world of dangerous secrets and forbidden passion...

She's too good to be bad 

A bad-boy member of an elite Special Ops team, Mercer has never been assigned an undercover mission he couldn't complete. But when his latest job requires him to gain the trust-and get into the bed-of his newest target, the sexy, fiery colonel's daughter, he has a whole new challenge ahead of him. All evidence points to her being a traitor to the country he's sworn to protect, but the crackling desire between them is too strong a feeling to ignore...

He's too bad to resist 

Zoe has always kept her secrets close to the vest. The only woman in a decorated military family, she's been taught that to let someone close is to flirt with disaster. But when the dangerously handsome, alpha-strong Mercer comes blazing into her life full-speed, it's all Zoe can do to resist his wicked seduction. As danger circles closer, Zoe must decide if she can trust him to protect her-but there's no way he could be bad when he makes her feel this good...

Release date: March 1, 2016
St. Martin’s Press
Unbroken Heroes series book 1
Review copy provided by the publisher 

Nikki’s Review:

Typically, I either love or hate military romance. There are some authors who write really solid stories, with a fantastic balance between love and action. I love a man in uniform, a hero who makes me swoon. I love him all growly alpha and a stubborn attitude. I often find that military romance can give me all of those ingredients...and sometimes, the recipe falls short.

Mercer and Zoe are hot and heavy from the get go...yay! But my first impression of Mercer wasn't great. He was slimy, cocky, and arrogant, and not in a good, yummy I have to have him, kinda way. I felt like his flirting with, Zoe was bordering on pushy and very creepy. 

I'm going to be honest here; I didn't feel any connection between these two outside of sex. And holy crap! There is a lot of sex. I like sexy times in the books I read. However, it started feel repetitive pretty quickly. They are on the run and bumping uglies like it's a romantic weekend away. The sex scenes were yummy and descriptive, but they seemed forced sometimes. It didn't always fit.

Mercer wasn't always easy to like. Just when he'd let you see a tender side, his douche bag attitude would shine through again. It was incredibly frustrating. I often felt like Zoe was a puppet. She was manipulated at every turn. And yet, she kept falling deeper and deeper for Mercer.

I'd say I was a good half way through the book before I was able to get a firm grasp on the suspense part of the story. There are so many players in this book. I was like...wait! Who's this again? This part of the book seemed to have more meat to it than the romance. I wish I could have felt a more emotional connection between, Zoe and Mercer. I wish I could believe there was more than sex that kept their hearts pumping. I just didn't feel it.

So, this military romance didn't ring my bell. But like most things in life, books are subjective. If you're looking for a book that has a suspense plot that keeps you guessing, and plentiful love scenes, then this book could be for you! I'm disappointed that I couldn't connect with it, but I can appreciate that many others will.



No comments: