Friday, September 02, 2016

THE DARKEST LINK

When her car breaks down off the side of a lonely highway far from her sunny Miami home, tattoo artist Lia never expected her very own white knight to ride up on the back of a barely street-legal motorcycle...and she never expected to fall for her dark savior. After a string of failed relationships and a bruised heart, Lia is not looking for forever, and the hot mechanic, with his sexy scruff and shaggy hair, is simply impossible to resist and the perfect candidate for mind-blowingly-perfect, no-strings-attached one night stand.

Reid left his life in Chicago far behind him and hasn't been back, but he's never been able to escape the guilt he feels about his own painful role in inviting a monster into his baby sister's life. A monster who almost destroyed her. Being with Lia is an unexpected gift, one he doesn't feel he deserves, and their one night together has him wanting more than he should. Especially since she doesn't know the truth about his past. However, when he finds Lia’s bracelet in his bed, he has the perfect excuse to drive down and surprise her at her tattoo studio, Second Circle Tattoos, in Miami. He's in for an even bigger shock - and a fist to the face - when his past and present collide in the humid Miami weather when he runs into the last person he’d ever expect to see in a tattoo studio: Harper, the sister he betrayed, and the last link to his former life.

Release Date: August 30, 2016
Swerve
A Second Circle Tattoos Novel book #4
Review copy provided by the publisher

Nikki’s Review:

Scarlett Cole blew me out of the water and brought me to my knees with, The Strongest Steel, the first book in the series. I knew after the first chapter that this series was going to be special; that this author held me in her grip now. 

 I have been waiting for Reid's book since he was mentioned in book #1. You don't get to "meet" him in any of the previous books, but you know there's a story there that needs to be told. I didn't want to accept that this character was a horrible person. I desperately wanted there to be a reason on why he left his sister behind. I wanted him to be redeemable. I needn't have worried!

Reid isn't your typical hero. He's done things that make me mad and irritated. But his heart was in the right place. Reid is a protector and his guilt about what happened to his sister, Harper, is what propels him to make decisions that aren't the smartest. I loved that he was flawed, I loved that he had to put some real effort into finding forgiveness. He had to work for my affection.

Lia is a spitfire. She's spunky and has a personality that is magnetic. She's someone that I'd to be friends with. She owns her life and makes no apologies for finding happiness. I could feel the attraction between Lia and Reid from the moment he spots her on the side of the road. The lust was definitely instant and scorching hot. They both have their respective baggage and want to keep things light and sexy between them. Ha! That worked for the first orgasm and then their hearts took over. Ms. Cole has a knack for writing heroes and heroines that make great friends. There's always chemistry, but there's a definite kinship that develops first. She makes them connect on a level that sets a strong foundation. Her characters fall in lust and then in love, but they also develop a friendship. 

Let me just put it out there that this book was spicy hot! Sweet baby Jesus, Reid is all kinds of sexy and Lia isn't afraid to be open about what she wants between the sheets! 

Like the books that came before this one, there are some heavy conflicts. Reid is in search of redemption. Lia sees his flaws and knows his story and she doesn't judge him. She inspires him. Lia is looking for acceptance. She's been made to feel lacking from her father all her life. She admittedly falls in love way too fast. Reid's her chance at happiness. He loves all her quirks and sassiness. 

Scarlett Cole isn't afraid to touch on sometimes-tough subject matters. She doesn't gloss over the bad stuff, but she uses those situations to make her characters strong, to make them brave, and to help them realize their worth. She drags her characters through the mud and builds them up again. It continues to leave me speechless. 

I was thrilled to revisit the characters from previous books. The crew of Second Circle Tattoos are family, not by blood, but by loyalty and strong friendships that most of us could only hope for. 

I'm invested in the people in this series. I feel like I know them. Each book pulls me in and holds tight until the very end. The first book, The Strongest Steel, will probably always be my favourite...Lawd, I love me some Trent! Each installment has a chunk of my heart that I never want back. I highly recommend starting from the beginning of the series for the best enjoyment. Do yourself a favour and get to know the crew of Second Circle Tattoos, you'll be happy you did!


Rating 5 Stars (A)

No comments: