Friday, September 08, 2017

CAPTAIN'S CAPTIVE

What if the man who made love to you last night does not recognize you in the morning? True, you had been in disguise, but still…and what if this happened when you were fleeing for your life?

Marilee Booth masquerades as an old woman and hires on as a cook aboard a ship headed to the colonies. She seeks to evade her stepmother, who has attempted to kill her. She is smitten by the handsome captain, who sees her merely as a part of the crew. On the last night at sea, when she doffs her disguise and decides to say goodbye to him while he sleeps, her life is forever altered. And now she may not survive… 




Release Date: September 12, 2015
Black Opal Books
Historical Romance/Romantic Suspense
Review copy provided by the author

Liza's Review:

Leslie Hachtel is a new-to-me author I had the pleasure of meeting at the RWA conference in July. I knew she wrote historical romances, but had somehow missed out they had the element of romantic suspense as well. I was pleasantly surprised to discover Captain's Captive included a bit of suspense along the way.

I absolutely adored Marilee Booth. She is such a strong woman, who disguises herself as an older woman cook named Mary to escape a threat on her life. I love that the moment she saw the captain, she was completely captivated and pretty much fell for him from the start. I liked that Robert seemed to be drawn to Marilee/Mary even in her disguise. Their initial night together was both sweet and sexy, even if Robert had no idea it was Marilee/Mary the next morning.

I loved that Marilee took control of her life from the moment she landed in Virginia. I also loved that once Robert actually learned it was Marilee that he was with the last night on the ship, he worked hard to get back into her life. The fact that another woman had claimed to be the woman he was with to trap him into marriage actually kinda made me laugh. She was pretty pathetic and I felt sorry for her more than anything. 

The suspense element came into the book so well was centered on Marilee and who wanted her gone. Yes her stepmother was part of the issue, but of course she wasn't working alone, which I had kinda figured out. It was very well executed and I loved the obstacles thrown at both Marilee and Robert. 

Captain's Captive was a really great story. I highly recommend this book to any readers who enjoy historical romances. While I felt like the suspense elements weren't the center of the story, I do think they added something to the romance. While Captain's Captive was the first book I ready by Leslie Hachtel, it absolutely won't be my last. I really enjoyed her voice and pacing of her story.

Rating: 4 Stars (B)


No comments: